Beth Mead fires Arsenal Women into Women’s F.A. Cup Quarter Final in 1-0 victory over Millwall Lionesses

WSL Match Report

Arsenal Women continued their search for their 15th Women’s F.A. Cup with a fifth round 1-0 victory over Millwall Lionesses at Meadow Park.

Beth Mead scored the only goal of the game, making it three goals in three games for her as Arsenal kept their fifth clean sheet in a row.

The win takes Arsenal into the Women’s F.A. Cup quarter-final where they’ll have another home tie against Charlton Athletic on March 18th.

For Millwall, they’re back in action on Wednesday against London Bees in the WSL2 where they sit a point behind Doncaster Rovers Belles in 2nd place.

After a quick attack down the left wing from Dan Carter, Arsenal settled on the ball during the early moments of the game before creating more chances around the 15 minute-mark.

Emma Mitchell directed a header at goal from a corner which was well saved by Sarah Quantrill which was the first of those chances.

After Mitchell got Quantrill moving in the Millwall goal, Carter managed to get herself involved again as she got on the end of crosses from Katie McCabe and Lisa Evans, with her effort from Evans’ cross being deflected over the crossbar.

Just after the half an hour mark and Mead had put Arsenal ahead with her 12th goal in all competitions this season.

Cutting in from the left, she lost her marker before firing past Quantrill to open the scoring.

Before the end of the first-half Carter had a chance to double the Arsenal lead but was only able to pull her shot wide of the mark.

After the break it was more of the same as most of the chances fell to the home side who just weren’t as clinical as they have been in recent weeks.

Mead could have made it two for the day like she did against Yeovil last week, but her shot didn’t trouble the Millwall goalkeeper.

As the second-half grew, the game became more balanced as the visitors were able to fashion a few good spells of possession, but Arsenal took the driving seat again later in the half.

With the game coming to a close there were more efforts from Danielle van de Donk as well as Heather O’Reilly and Mead who forced a double-save from Quantrill to keep the score at just 1-0.

A last gasp chance almost saw Millwall tie things up as a free kick fell to Ashlee Hincks but her shot missed the target.

Arsenal’s next game comes this Friday as they welcome Everton to Meadow Park in the WSL1 for their third successive home game where they’ll look to make up ground on 2nd placed Chelsea Ladies.